The Trogear Bowsprit was uniquely designed to be installed via a hinge mount to allow for vertical adjustment. This is possible both below deck or on top of the deck. Each situation is unique, and which method is best for your yacht depends on its design and also your preferences. If in doubt, either pre or post purchase, contact us or consult your rigger. Also, view the attachment table to see the hardware options for each bowsprit. We offer Quick Release Pins or Bolts, and in both cases the Bowpsrit is removable.
BELOW DECK – Through Hull
The preferred installation method is to install a fiberglass hinge tube across the bow. It is located about 2″ from the top of the deck and about 10-13″ aft from the tip of the bow (specific placement depends on your yacht and selected bowsprit). The hinge tube is glassed into the hull, though the bowsprit is removable.
- Offers maximum strength with forces transferred to
the hull of your yacht
- Keeps your deck completely clear
- Minimizes risk of leaks
- Quick release pins or bolts
DECK MOUNTED – with Brackets
In some instances, such as boats with a bow anchor roller, deck mounting the Trogear bowsprit works better. We have custom designed mounting brackets for this purpose which will work in many cases. Please contact us or consult your rigger with any questions.
- Best when there are obstructions in the bow
- Installation is like any other deck hardware
- Choice of custom designed “U” or “L” brackets
- Quick release pins or bolts
SIDE MOUNTS – below deck
These Carbon Fiber Mounts are for installing the Trogear Bowsprit below deck without needing through hull installation. They are suitable for yachts with narrow bows around 40 degrees including trimarans. When using these side mounts, the Bowpsrit attachment point is moved forward offering more extensions past the bow.
- More extension of the bowsprit past the bow
- Installation bolted to the hull with no need for through hull install
- Bowsprit is removable and adjustable
CROSS BEAM MOUNTED (Catamaran) – with Brackets
The Trogear Bowsprit works extremely well with catamarans. We have consulted with Z spars in France, who designs Catamaran cross beams, and developed custom brackets to mount the Trogear on the cross beam. There are a few approaches to rigging the Sprit, and in some cases customers have purchased a second Sprit as a dolphin striker. Please contact us or consult your rigger with any questions.
- Easily mount on the cross beam with Trogear custom brackets
- Install with a second sprit as a dolphin striker
- Easily flips up to attach sails, stow, or when deploying your anchor
“We are extremely pleased with our new Trogear bowsprit. The Trogear people made a custom bracket for our crossbeam on our Leopard 44 (Catamaran), so that it folds up and down in seconds. They have also worked closely with Mack Sails to make sure the rigging is right on. Thanks Yvonne and Henry for all the personal care!”
~Ron and Trish Miller aboard Content in the Abacos